Sunday, December 02, 2007

"Captain Insano shows no mercy."

I think Adam Sandlers make very watchable movies and contain some funny moments -I might have already written that somewhere on this blog (I can't really remember) whilst something like The Wedding Singer is a really good romantic comedy, a film like The Waterboy (1998) is purely for laughs.

Adam Sandler plays idiot Bobby Boucher (very similar to his Cajun Man character from Saturday Night Live) a waterboy for a college football (American) who egged on by Coach Kline (the ever great Henry Winkler) uses his aggression to tackle one of the players and he is made a quarterback for the team whilst keeping it secret from his overprotective mother (the ever great Kathy Bates)

The film is funny, but nothing special (I couldn't decide whether to give it 2 or 3 thumbs up from Fonzie), Sandler manages to get by on the angry young man/buffon shtick he's done in plenty of movies, while the support is good from Winkler, Bates and Fairuza Balk as his jailbird love interest Vicki Valencourt. Not life changing but good enough.

I have something of a love/hate relationship with the entire Wayans' family, In Living Color was a great sketch series, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka was very funny. Whilst on one hand, Scary Movie 2 was awful, ditto Little Man and White Chicks, Kim Wayans performance in the sit-com In the House was beyond annoying and Damon Wayans is probably the most abusive loving dad in sit-com history on My Wife and Kids (go and watch and see how sometimes his actions should class as child abuse). Don't Be a Menace in South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood (1996) (I think I spelt it write), falls closer to the hate section.

Now I didn't hate this movie, I just thought it was rarely funny, I was familar with many of the films they spoofed -Boys n the Hood, Juice, Menace II Society etc- but there just wasn't a spark to be had- written by and starring Shawn and Marlon Wayans, who went onto do Scary Movie (and you could probably accuse them of creating the modern spoof, one that is made up of often bad recreations of other movies such as their own Scary Movie 1 &2, and then it's Wayanless sequels aswell as Epic Movie and Date Movie). Laughwise Bernie Mac's little role raised a titter and a couple of scenes made me smile so it wasn't entirely bad

I know a lot of people who find this hilarious (same for the Friday movies which I just could never get into>, maybe there seeing something I'm not, I'd recommend watching Keenan Ivory Wayans earlier I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (which is something of a spoof of blaxploitation movies) instead. but fans of Shawn and Marlon will lap it up.

No comments: